toggle cbox
members rules plot abilities faces canons wanteds who's who application shippers advertise cbox

welcome to tame the whispers! we are an animation personified roleplay set in new york city and its boroughs. an entity known as the void swept through the animated world of ioyipia, the world which had been home to all of of our well known and beloved characters. the void destroyed everything in its path, some escaped and others were killed, but all found themselves right here in new york city. their abilities, some latent while in their last lives, others well known, are beginning to surface and those characters who remember ioyipia and who they were are starting to notice strange things going on. has the void returned? is it coming for them all over again? find out! when registering, please do so as FIRST M. LAST in all uppercase. our site's rating is 3•3•3 and we always ask for quality over quantity. as always, if you have any questions, feel free to message a staff member!

Add Reply

o' heartless man, tag: howell
Calcifer
twenty-seven
pyrokinesis
chef
pansexual
he/him

played by Moni15 posts • prefers her/she pronouns

and I see fire

and I hope that you remember me

It was just past five-thirty a.m. when Caleb finally exited his work. Talk about a hellishly long night. Spitfire bar and grill would be reopening in just a few short hours but that was someone else’s problem. He worked the night shifts. Typically ranging anywhere from 8pm-4am or somewhere around there. Getting out on time was always a task in and of itself when it came to working somewhere that served food and alcohol. There was always that one table that stayed after closing despite having nothing but drinks left to finish. Why anyone would ever want to sit at a table for more than an hour or two was beyond his comprehension. But there they sat, till past 4:30. The rest of the staff worked around the table, cleaning and making it perfectly clear they were closed.

Cal didn’t have to stay as late as he did but he always did just to make sure nothing fishy happened. The manager on staff today was a younger gal, just a few years older than him. She was a sweetheart, but a bit skittish and paranoid. Rightfully so, given the nature of the city they lived in. It wasn’t exactly the safest to be waltzing around in at odd hours of the night, or morning, no matter who you were. Things happened to even the best, most prepared people. Fate had a way of taking matters into its own hands and if anyone knew that best it was certainly Caleb. So he’d offered months ago to walk with her back to her apartment whenever they worked together. It was literally the opposite direction of his own apartment but he insisted. She fussed about it every single time, too.

Pressing his fingers against his eyes, the young man let out a tired sigh once he had delivered his coworker back to her place safe and sound. Digging out his phone, he checked the time. 6:15. A yawn left his lips as he pushed the device back into his pocket and started walking. It would take him another 45 minutes to get back to his neighborhood. The first glimpses of light were starting to peek up over the horizon and rid the darkness that was blanketing the city. The streets were never quiet, but the traffic was starting to pick back up as people began their daily activities. The people on the streets filtered from criminals to those going to school, work or just simply exercising. Caleb sidestepped to avoid getting run over by a woman jogging with a stroller. How did she have the energy to do that this early? God, all he wanted was his bed.

The street he normally walked down was blocked off by construction. Figured. So he was forced to take a different route – no big deal. It might take him a little longer to get back though. Blinking lethargically, Caleb stopped when he hit the next block and caught sight of a coffee shop across the street. Was he imagining it? Kingsbury. The name hit him like a ton of bricks and caused his heart rate to quicken. Rubbing at his face, he stared at the letters printed across the glass window for at least a solid minute. Maybe it was a coincidence. There was no need to get his hopes up. All of the pessimism in the world couldn’t keep his feet from moving though and before he knew it he was headed inside.

It was a cute little shop, decorated with little nick nacks all over the walls. A sense of familiarity washed over him as he took in the colors of the walls and all the decorations. It felt like he had been here before even though it was his first time there. He knew why. It reminded him of Ingary and the castle and everyone he had lost. A voice called out to him, greeting him and pulling him back out of his thoughts. Back to reality, where a young woman was asking him what he’d like to order. It’s not Sophie his mind screamed as he stared at the woman and her long, straight brown hair and glasses. She looked put off by his lack of a response and asked again. She worked in a coffee shop – shouldn’t she know people came in tired and cranky? Caleb had to resist the urge to flick her in the forehead and settled for blurting out what came to his mind first. Pumpkin space latte. Two shots espresso so I don’t bite your head off for staring at me.

Once he’d dropped the exact change onto the counter (instead of in her hand), Caleb leaned back against the counter to wait. The woman disappeared into the back, but he heard the door swing back open a few seconds later. He watched as the only other occupant of the shop shuffled out to continue their day. For a minute, he let his eyes close because they were too heavy to keep open anymore. Soon. Soon he could get back to his apartment and sleep and forget about this place. It brought out memories and thoughts of things from the past that were painful. His heart was still racing – espresso was such a bad idea. Too late. Someone had called the drink. No. They’d said Cal. He hadn’t given them his name. Caleb’s eyes snapped open, his body twisting back around to face the person. Not just any person. He knew right away who it was. And all he could do was blink. Once. Twice. The hand he had lifted in preparation to grab his drink dropped to the counter.

Howl.

”You’re alive?”

HOWELL P. JENKINS, 950 SORRYYY, jeans and hoodie, idk, REUNION YAY

Howl
Twenty-seven
Wizardry
Barista
Heterosexual
He/ him

played by Kimilicious7 posts • prefers She/ her pronouns
You'll have to come and find me, find me
Most days were just a repeat of the day before. Get up, shower, go to work, wander, return home, sleep, get up and then do it all over again. Howell knew he'd worked himself into a rut, even his days off tended to be spent staring at the ceiling or peering out his window. He walked a lot, tried to take in the scenery, but honestly he just tended to get himself lost. He'd figured out most of the Bronx this way though, so maybe it was good for something. He worked a lot, always taking extra shifts if only to keep his mind somewhat occupied. When drink orders weren't churning through his head, he let his mind drift off and that was never good. He still did it often enough, let his thoughts get carried away with him. Every night, every moment not filled with something else, he was thinking thinking thinking. Fragments of spells, nightmares, day dreams, if anyone peeled open Howell's head and looked into it they'd be terrified he was sure. Some days he was afraid, afraid to be left alone with what he had in his head. That was why he walked so often. Even though he never knew where he was going, at least there were people out there. He never spoke to anyone unless he had to, faking a smile was a pain these days and he did it for eight hours a day already. Still, he wore the facade as often as he could.

The shop had only been open since five, Howell having come in promptly at four thirty. He was a ghost of his former self, dark curls pulled back in a haphazard bun atop his head, his face needing to be shaved clean, but at least it wasn't more than a few days of shadow. He hated facial hair, hated the feel of it, but he'd been unable to bring himself to do much more than shower these past few days. Another doctor's visit was within the next two weeks and they'd probably adjust his meds again. Lethargy and exhaustion haunted him, but he continued to get up, continued to show up to the Kingsbury Coffee Shop if only so he could bask in its familiarity. He didn't know how someone had pulled this from his head, maybe he'd been here before his accident and made up what was in his head based off of this place, but the packed little coffee shop, all shiny decorations and little knick knacks soothed him in a strange way. His apartment was fairly empty. He didn't actually go much of anywhere so much as he just wandered the streets. It was pathetic really, even he knew it, but the cycle was comfortable enough. Nothing exciting happened and nothing terrible happened. He'd take it for now.

Howell had been attending to some of the baked goods in the back, a coworker heading for the front when the bell had alerted them of a customer. The girl, Carrie was her name, was cute enough with her glasses and brown mousey hair. She liked to reach out and touch his arm, giggled when he spoke to her. Once upon a time he'd have found these things endearing, would even had pursued her, but not anymore. Howell didn't feel a great deal of anything, but he forced the smiles and slid his hand from her grasp when she reached for him. Even if Sophie wasn't real, to even think of someone else felt like doing her a dishonor.

Carrie had just huffed through the door, a little frown on her face. She never did well with curt customers. Howell was on his way out to place the baked goods int he window when he stopped dead in his tracks. He almost let the tray clatter to the ground, but Carrie had come up beside him in just enough time for Howell to jam it into her arms. She made a surprised noise, but he'd already moved away from her, heading for the counter. "Cal?" He called out towards a man with hair the color of fire. The man's back had been turned to him, but Howell would have recognized him anywhere, any form. This human form was different, so very very different, but Howell felt the pull, the string that connected the two of them. The man turned towards him than and Howell knew he wasn't mistaken. He saw it in Cal's eyes, the fire demon, the star that he'd caught once upon a time and given his heart to. The very same heart that Sophie had later returned to him. Howell stared at him a moment, trying to process all of this information. If Cal was here, then did that mean everything he thought he'd remembered, everything he thought he knew... was it real? Cal was clearly human, not a ball of enchanted flames, perhaps this man was merely a person of his past that Howell had associated into his delusions. He swallowed hard as the two shared eye contact, but then Cal finally spoke.

You're alive?

Howell leaped over the counter, not bothering to waste time in moving all the way around it. No, he would meet Cal head on. His head was racing, all his thoughts far too jumbled to snatch just one up, but he knew that he had to touch this man, had to make sure he was real and here and that he wasn't hallucinating. Howell knew there was probably a better, more socially acceptable way to go about this but oh well. Everything though he was crazy anyway. If Cal wasn't really there and Howell hit the ground, he'd just be done for the day. Cough it up to a mental break down and have the white jackets come collect him. Things had been building up in him, twisting and pulling and he'd not realized just how much he wanted to see someone, anyone, who looked at him and didn't pity him or think him insane.

He threw himself at the red headed man, clinging tightly to the other's taller frame. "Tell me you're real and I'm not completely bonkers," Howell's Welsh accent was heavy in his words, heavier than usual as they were steeped in a desperation he hadn't realized he'd felt up until he'd seen Cal's scruff of fire red hair. Howell held the other in his arms, eye squeezed shut as he waited for a response, praying he hadn't just lost his marbles all over again.

CALEB R. BRENTON
thanks evvie!
Calcifer
twenty-seven
pyrokinesis
chef
pansexual
he/him

and I see fire

Cal barely had enough time to brace himself for impact, let alone comprehend everything that was going on. The reaction was the only confirmation that he needed. It was him. His dearest friend was there and very much alive. A grunt escaped his lips as the other man collided into his chest. The air in his lungs was swept right out but a quick inhale replenished them. Relief engulfed him in the form of Howell’s arms as they wrapped around him tightly. His own arms found their way around Howell’s back and secured the other man against his chest where he would keep him as long as he’d allow. Meanwhile he burrowed his face into the crook of his old friends neck and took another deep inhale as he tried to sift through the overwhelming emotions.

Howell was here and he was alive. All his months of worrying and blaming himself had been for nothing. The guilt that he had been so weighed down by could finally be lifted. Well, as soon as he confirmed that Howell was indeed safe, sound and nothing terrible had happened to him. If he wasn’t? Caleb was going to do everything in his power to make amends. Why? Because he deserved it. He had never quite expressed his gratitude for the other man back in their other life and he wanted to change that. Maybe it was his silly human brain fussing with his emotions now but Caleb knew he had changed. For better, hopefully. Howell needed to know that he cared. Needed to know that he had tried his best to save them both despite all the times he had proven to be quite the selfish and troublesome ball of flames.

A chuckle of nervous laughter rose out of his throat at Howell’s request. ”I am very much real,” he answered while reassuringly rubbing Howell’s back with one hand. Why would he believe otherwise? ”I know I look very different. Apparently shooting stars stay in the sky here and fire demons are just a myth.” The lack of magic in this world was certainly strange, and had taken him some time to adjust to. Thankfully not all the magic was gone. The flames were still intertwined with every fiber of his being. Caleb had no idea what type of person he would be if he had lost that along with everything else when he had arrived in this new world. It wasn’t a thought he liked to entertain either.

Pulling back just enough so he could get a better look at Howell, Caleb’s lips curled at the edges just slightly. ”If I didn’t know any better I’d say you missed me,” he teased gently. By the way he’d literally jumped over the counter there was no denying that. Cal would have done the same, though. No doubt about it. As unconventional as their friendship had begun there was no denying that they had come to be tight knit over the years. Even after their lives weren’t literally tied together by a spell. ”I missed you too,” he added just incase there was any sort of doubt in Howell’s eyes. It felt good to say it.

”I thought,” he paused for a moment as the smile twisted downward. ”..I thought I might have done something terribly selfish this whole time instead of saving us both.” Caleb dropped his head onto Howell’s shoulder with a sigh fueled by all his relief and regret all mixed together. There had never been any doubt in his mind about whether he had the magic to pull them to safety. He'd always been confident in his abilities which begged the question of why Howell hadn't been with him when he had pulled them away. The only logical explanation he'd been able to come to was that he had subconsciously done something awful. Saved his own skin, instead of them both. As noble as he may be now, he still had selfish tendencies and he had feared they'd surfaced in that moment of panic. That after losing two friends, what was another? Caleb knew they were awful thoughts but they were all he had left when he'd awoken alone and afraid in this new place. It was easy to justify them when there was nobody there to speak sense into him.

The best parts about him had always been brought out by Markl, Sophie and Howl after all.

HOWELL P. JENKINS, idk yo, outfit, feels, yo. feels.

Howl
Twenty-seven
Wizardry
Barista
Heterosexual
He/ him

Cal's arms had come around him, securing behind his back and Howell felt the tension that had been building up within him for months slowly begin to release. Even though Cal felt real, felt solid beneath his fingers, Howell still wasn't quite ready to let him go. The men held each other for what was probably an awkwardly long moment for anyone else, but it didn't matter in the least to him. Howell had always been very comfortable in his skin, truthfully it was usually because he'd magicked himself comfortable, but these days his nature and appearance didn't weigh on him like they once had. There was no one to impress here, no one sliding their gaze across him and judging him. Well, that was a bit of a lie, everyone in New York City judged you, but the difference was that Howell didn't care anymore. He had nothing left, why bother? Of course that was a thought that no longer held so much weight. Here was Calcifer in the flesh, a harrowing thought that was, Cal in the flesh rather than in the flame, but here he was regardless. Howell's arms tightened around the other man as Cal assured him he was real. Thank the stars, every single one of them in the sky.

Howell let his arms loosen somewhat as Cal pulled away, just enough so they could look at one another. Howell finally pried his eyes open, allowed himself to look upon his closest friend's face for real this time. He'd caught a glance of it, just enough to know it was him, but now he really looked at the other. Cal was a bit taller than he was, something he inwardly found quite comical. The shock of red hair suited the other man, as did the structure of his face and his stature. All in all, he looked like a finely articulated young man. Howell couldn't say he wasn't just a tad jealous; Cal looked like he had been coping much better in this new life than he had. Howell knew he looked bad, worse probably than Cal had ever seen him save perhaps when he'd been dying. In a way though, Howell had slowly been dying over the past two years, he'd just been taking his sweet time getting there. With Cal's appearance though, he felt a new wave of energy. If Cal was here then maybe...

Howell grinned as Cal spoke again, insisting that he'd missed the fire demon. He had. He'd missed Cal almost as much as he missed her. Cal had been with him since he was a child, the two had all but grown up together. Cal had been an integral part of Howell's life for many years and without him, well he wasn't quite sure who he was. Cal was quick to add that he'd missed Howell, too. Howell blinked in surprise, not at the emotion, he knew Cal better than anyone, knew that his closest friend had missed him, but he was surprised to actually hear the words. Humanity looked good on Cal, apparently internally as well. "I assure you. I've missed you a great deal more, my friend." Howell said affectionately. Cal's smile began to dim and he spoke once more. Ah, Howell understood then why he'd been so quick to tell him that he'd missed him now. Guilt. Howell knew that emotion intimately and he hated that his best friend felt it as he did. The emotion ran deep, cutting into his very soul when he thought about those closest to he and Cal. He pushed that away for now, not letting it sour this moment. He was sure that would catch up with him, with them both, but for now he had one good thing to focus on and that was Calcifer.

Cal had dropped his head to Howell's shoulder and he leaned his cheek against into the other. Howell's fingers ran through Cal's hair, gripping the other loosely. "The night was chaos, but in the midst of it you came through, Calcifer. You're the finest being I know and you saved my life." His voice was soft, spoken so only Cal could hear. He knew Carrie was lingering somewhere near, probably flabbergasted at the entire scene. Howell had never shown this much emotion in a single day, much less in a single moment and he was sure she was thinking he'd lost his mind. Perhaps he had, but he didn't care. He had Cal and that was one step in a direction he thought he might be able to face now.

Howell squeezed Cal one more time before turning towards the counter. He still held Cal's arm in his hand, unwilling to fully release the other. Carrie was, in fact, standing there staring at the two of them. Cal's drink was in her hands as she opened her mouth to speak. Howell cut her off. "Call Penny and remind her that she owes me a favor. I'm taking today off." He paused a moment as Carrie blinked at him. "Tomorrow too. Something important has come up, I'm sure Frances will understand," Frances ran the shop and Howell would call the man later with some explanation. He pulled off the apron he wore, tossing it onto the counter and took Cal's drink from Carrie's hand. He gave a smile to her then, the sort that almost channeled the man he used to be. "Thank you, love." Carrie returned his smile, a blush creeping across her cheeks as she nodded but Howell was already ushering Cal out the door. He put the man's drink in his hand as they exited the Kingsbury Cafe.

Howell threaded his arm through Cal's, ignoring society's thoughts on how two men ought to be walking along the sidewalk together. Howell had never been a fan of social norms, he'd always gone through life in his own way and today, more so than he had in over two years, he felt just a bit like his old self again. "Tell me then, how have you been? What have you been doing? Do you adore being human? Fascinating, isn't it?" Howell had turned his eyes onto his best friend, a grin on his face despite himself. There were plenty of deeper, darker questions he could have been asking but he'd save those for later, behind closed doors. For now he wanted to relish in the fact that the two of them were here, alive, and together. Howell's grip on Cal's arm was tighter than it really needed to be and he'd already oriented them towards his own apartment. He'd ask Cal all about where he'd been and where he lived soon enough, there was time for that. Finally Howell saw the light again and of course, it would be his favorite fire demon to give way to that light.

CALEB R. BRENTON
thanks evvie!
Calcifer
twenty-seven
pyrokinesis
chef
pansexual
he/him

and I see fire

Howell’s words were exactly what he needed to hear. It was the reassurance he had needed for years. The air in his lungs that he’d been holding was finally released. The tension in his shoulders relaxed as well. The guilt was far from gone, but at least now he would sleep a little better knowing that Howell was alive. That he’d been able to save them both even if they had ended up in separate places. There was still the uncertainty over whether everything was okay or not but with Howell by his side again he was sure things would brighten up. For the both of them. A scoff was emitted at the second half of what Howell had said. ”That’s debatable,” he argued into his friends ear. Finest? He was a terror and he’d done some not so fine things in the past.

Cal’s eyes lifted, realizing only then when Howell addressed her that the woman was still there. Right. The way she was staring at them earned a snort of laughter. There were probably quite a lot of thoughts and conclusions running through her head in that moment. She could think what she wanted. Nothing else in the world mattered at that moment except for Howell and what he thought. The smile tugged itself back onto his lips as Howell dismissed himself from work. An unexpected but welcomed turn of events. Caleb would have lurked around the shop all day if he had needed to. Or returned later once he was off. As much as he had been craving his bed and sleep just minutes before, this turn of events had him wide awake now.

”Don’t tell me you’re dating that bimbo,” he commented, not even bothering to lower his voice as he was pushed towards the door. It was obvious the girl had feelings for Howell. He’d always been a flirt, though. Somethings never changed, it seemed. Had Howell really moved on without Sophie here, though? Cal certainly wouldn’t have blamed him if he had but he knew it would be hard. Impossible, perhaps. The love that Sophie and Howl had shared was unlike anything he had ever seen. It had been strong and limitless. The two of them were both capable of loving selflessly. So together? It was disgusting. Disgusting in the cutest, most gag-worthy of ways. Only some personal nosey questions would answer the question as to whether he had moved on or not. Now wasn’t really the time, or place, for those sorts of questions though. Not when they were still in earshot of said bimbo.

The smile on his lips was momentarily hidden as he took a drink. Delicious. At least she could make a drink properly. Howell’s closeness didn’t bother him in the slightest. Infact, it was quite comforting and he’d just beat him to the punch. If Howell hadn’t been the first to jump then it would have been Cal himself. People could stare if they so choose but it wasn’t the first or the last time he’d been out in public with another man like this. Which was something, he realized, he might have to bring to Howell’s attention at some point. There was a lot that he’d have to share with his best friend and some things he’d want to keep to himself. A chuckle of laughter eased itself out of his lips as he was bombarded by questions.

”Well,” he started as he tried to figure out the best way to start. ”Things have been rough,” he answered earnestly. ”Getting dumped here alone, ontop of suddenly being human?” Caleb shook his head. ”The nurses in the hospital almost admitted me into the psych ward because of the way I was babbling and acting.” And oh, how it had been such a close call. A miracle, really, that he’d managed to pull his wits together to be able to wiggle out of that mess. ”Being human is complicated, weird, fascinating and painful.” Those few words didn’t quite cut it, though. ”It’s overwhelming. It’s a shame you weren’t there with me when I first got here. You would have gotten a good laugh. Plus you could have helped me figure it all out. The whole having to get dressed every day? Ugh. And don’t even get me started on all the bodily functions..” Those had probably been the strangest thing to get use to.

Caleb had his attention focused entirely on Howell, not bothering to pay attention to where they were headed. It mattered not. He figured Howell was taking them somewhere by the way he was directing them along the streets. ”I work as a chef at a place called Spitfire Bar and Grill. It’s not too far from here, actually.” Sort of. They were definitely moving farther away from where he was located. ”You’ve been right under my nose this whole time, haven’t you?” The realization was like jamming a nail into an old wound. Why hadn’t he looked harder?

HOWELL P. JENKINS, 837, im sorry this is bad I AM SICK.

Howl
Twenty-seven
Wizardry
Barista
Heterosexual
He/ him

Howell had snorted as Cal insinuated he could possibly be dating Carrie. He didn't dignify that with a response, at least not here. She was an alright young woman, but there was only one for him. He hadn't always been that way of course, Cal had seen the worst of him years ago, but chasing new love to fill the empty hole in his chest wasn't his MO any more. His heart was returned, thumping in his chest and ever reminding him of what was currently missing from his life. He didn't let himself think of her, not yet. Not now. Cal was here and Howell knew that if he spoke, if he said her name, he ran the risk of turning into a mess. He was already a mess, but thoughts of her were enough to drown him on his bad days and before today, there had been a lot of bad days.

Howell was nodding, acknowledging Cal as he spoke. The two were walking casually, Howell in no real rush. There was plenty of talk to fill up the time between the coffee shop and his place. His apartment wasn't even the least bit interesting, though his wardrobe had a few quirky pieces that had reminded him of her. Howell flinched mildly at the mention of a psych ward. He was glad Cal had escaped that experience. There were few he'd wish such a thing on, but he wouldn't say that he wouldn't wish ill on another. He would. Howell was every bit the same man he'd been once upon a time, though a shadow of himself, and while his heart was often far too soft for his own good, he was also vindictive and spiteful. He hadn't flexed those emotions in quite some time, the empty feeling that so often filled him leaving little room for much else. Still, he wasn't a saint by any means and there were a great deal of reasons as to why he and Cal got on so well.

He grinned as the other man described what it was like to be human. He hadn't found reason to grin, to laugh, in quite some time. Thinking of the fire demon beside him learning how to utilize a restroom was amusing to say the very least, but he was sure there'd be another time to tease the other about it. "Ah yes, the human body comes with a whole host of soft, squishy details. Getting dressed however, happens to be a highlight. You seem to have at least gotten the hang of it all well and good." Howell looked Cal up and down without missing a beat. "Not the most fashionable, but at the moment, it's not as if I'm doing any better." He gave a mild chuckle as he turned them down the next side street. Two more long blocks and they'd be to the apartment.

"Spitfire. I've walked by it once or twice. Hm." Howell hadn't ever stopped in, hadn't done much more than notice the name in truth. It had run a bell of familiarity to him, but he'd resisted the urge to walk in. He'd never walked by it on a good day, the days he'd seen the signage always days where he was questioning his sanity. He should have stepped in sooner. Cal's next testament caused Howell to return his eyes upwards to the red head's face. Cal's eyes had darkened somewhat and Howell could feel the guilt coming off of the other. He patted Cal's arm, his other still threaded through it. "Yes and no. It's as much my fault as it is yours that today just happened to be the day." he was nodding somewhat, his eyes drifting ahead of them. He hated talking about his time in the mental ward, but he couldn't very well keep it from Cal. Still, those two years were far from his proudest and he'd done some pretty sideways things back in Ingary. "I've been... out of sorts. I spent some time in the psych ward you were so lucky to escape," his voice held no animosity. He didn't at all hold such a thing against Cal and he was well and truly glad the other had come to his senses far quicker than he had. Howell had made things hard for himself, as he always did, by not accepting what fate had handed him. "I've only been out among the sane for a few months. Apparently raving to anyone who'll listen that you're a wizard and rejecting the new reality you've been dumped into is indicative of complete insanity." he gave a shrug then as if his time in the hospital had been anything to dwell on. That was as far from the truth as it got, but Howell didn't want pity. Not these days, anyway. Not for something like that.

They'd come up to his building then, Howell fishing out some keys as they traipsed up three flights of stairs. He was used to it by now, hardly batting an eyelash as they went up. He unlocked his door, the fourth one on the left, and ushered Cal in ahead of him. He shut the door behind him before tossing his keys on the counter. "Try not to judge my lack of interior decorating. People don't exactly come knocking at my door for spells these days," he said with a little grin. He moved to the kitchen to grab a kettle, filled it with water and set it on the stove as he busied himself making tea.

CALEB R. BRENTON
thanks evvie!
Calcifer
twenty-seven
pyrokinesis
chef
pansexual
he/him

and I see fire

”Excuse you!” He barked out in an offended tone before turning his eyes down onto what he was wearing. Sure, it wasn’t the most fashionable thing to wear. Howell had a point. The clothes were quite plain but they were for a reason. ”I just got off of working all night so forgive me for not dressing like I’m out for a …morning on the town.” It was too early to form proper insults. Right? Caleb squinted at his old friend and decided the coffee in his hand definitely needed to be in his stomach. Where it could caffeinate him and then he could properly be spiteful. ”You’re really not,” he bit back but the fire behind his words was gone. ”What’s with the hair?” He figured he’d ask while they were on the subject of appearances.

Caleb’s eyes darted down to the other man that was still linked into his arm. Again, he felt little reassurance even though Howell was trying his best. It was just something he was going to have to come to terms with. It would be easier to now that they were reunited. Time would heal all the wounds that had littered his heart. At least the figurative ones. ”Yeah.. he answered absentmindedly before taking another drink. Thankfully he’d managed to swallow what was in his mouth before Howell talked about telling the world he was a wizard because he couldn’t help but laugh. ”No. I can see why that would land you into some trouble in this place,” he mused before pursing his lips together. Hearing what Howell had gone through didn’t sit well with him but there was little he could do about it. Nothing but be there for him now. ”You always had a way with landing yourself into trouble,” he commented, trying to lighten the conversation.

The walk up the three flights of stairs had Caleb practically gasping for air by the last step. Not for any reason other than the fact that his heart was screaming at him for putting him through something so physically strenuous without taking his time. Stairs were nothing new to him since he lived up multiple flights in his own complex but at least there he could take his time. Or the elevator. It felt like his lungs were on fire and his chest rose and fell heavily as it fought to keep the oxygen flowing. Caleb squinted, rubbing at his chest as he entered the apartment infront of Howell.

Honestly, he’d been too busy focusing on breathing to even bother noticing the lack of interior design until it was brought to his attention. Yeah, it could certainly be better. ”I can’t give you shit for it since mines no better,” he answered with a breathless laugh. His own apartment looked fairly similar. He had no desire to decorate a place that hardly felt like home. Sure, it was furnished but that was about it. Cal padded along after him and leaned against the kitchen counter. Functionally to steady himself because he felt lightheaded. God he was a mess. Setting his drink down on the counter, Cal turned his eyes back towards his friend. ”Can you? Make spells, that is. Do you still have any of your powers?”

”I still have mine..well,” he gestured with his hand and a small puff of flames ignited below the kettle before Howell could turn the stove on. ”Still trying to get the hang of it, though..I nearly burnt down my apartment once while I was sleeping.” The flames were very much tied to his physical and emotional state, as they’d been before. The only difference now was that his human body came with much more..complications that made his powers a bit testy. The small flame beneath the kettle was the limit of his abilities currently between how tired he was. Between working all night and the damn three flights of stairs he really needed those shots of espresso to kick in.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

skinned exclusively for TTW by lauz.